Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tick tock...


My daughter has just turned 4 and after spending months talking about what she can do at 4 she is now set her sights on turning 5. (I fear it's going to be a long year!) As soon as she grasped the concept of time she has been plotting and planning - time means doing things she likes and she doesn't wait for things to happen she will find something else to do in the meantime, whilst badgering me with questions. 'Is it tomorrow yet?', 'What time is it now?', 'Are we there yet?', 'Now?'. Of course I will steadily reply 'No, not yet, later.' 'Ok mum.' and off she runs.

I can remember being young and wanting to be older but I was happy to wait until I got there. There was no great rush, I had plenty of time. Now faced with being in a 37 year old body with a head still stuck in 1998 I am very aware of running out of time. All the things I want to do I can't quite do quick enough. And I think back to the 20 something me who had all the time in the world and feel like giving her a kick up the butt and tell her to get a move on. It's not that I'm afraid of getting old, I just want to be able to look back whilst sitting in my beach hut and know that I've achieved what I wanted to.

Ignore me, I'm having a mini mid life crises, I will be over it tomorrow :D

(PS. I have 2 hours and 25 minutes before I have to pick her up from playgroup, so what shall I do first....

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

YOU feel time running out, and not being able to do all the things you want?? Try being 47!!!!!!

I am here on my lappy, with my four year old who is exactly the same, hassling me because she wants to play. I am constantly in guilt over any time I spend doing my art, promoting my art, being online, and not playing with her, because she is growing up SOOOO fast. Yet, I am also on a clock and still want to achieve sooo much.

Conflicted much?

Anyway, I know where you are coming from...utterly, and for me..it's worse!

xxx

Chichiboulie said...

oh this all sounds too familiar...

but having happy and well adjusted children is an achievement in and of itself and one that it looks like you're on track to attaining.

none said...

Oh yep I know how that one feels. And why is it whenever we get a new emtpy diary we rush to fill it with as many things as possible straight away just so the pages don't look blank? Wishing our lives away... we should stop, slow down, take it eeeeeaaaassssy for a few days, see if we can't stop time in its tracks a little bit. x