Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflection

Found this in my sketchbook yesterday, just a random doodle of a model from a magazine but caught myself staring at it. Her eyes are wonky and her face a bit too long but her expression was unsettling, a bit like looking in a mirror (even though she doesn't look like me). I remember reading somewhere that portrait artists tend to capture an essence of themselves and people have said that about my drawings, but just how much of myself do I give away?

I've never considered myself an emotive type of artist, expressing my feelings on canvas has never been my drive. I love line and pattern and texture and depth and mystery but it's on a quite a superficial level although very much guided by my instinct.

What am I trying to say? I'm not really sure but I've got to stop looking for my style and perfect my technique. Recognise what I have already and relearn how to get the features in the right place!

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

I like this. Clean and concise lines. True 'mark making'. It's very spontaneous. Reminds me of Dufy.

Chichiboulie said...

very nice. you know, irl, no one is perfectly symmetrical and features don't always match the one on the other side. stop worrying and just doodle!

Anonymous said...

You are so hard on yourself! No-one's features are 'perfect' and the lines you drew are exactly as they should be. ;-)