Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sanctuary

You know when there are days you have so much on you just don't see daylight? Ok that's an exxageration, I see plenty of daylight but I just don't get time to go out and enjoy it as much as I would like. We have been in our new little house 4 months today and the sun is getting warmer and the garden is starting to bloom and I am getting itchy feet. As anyone who knows me will attest to I am not the domestic type - although my family is well cared for I am not one for baking and gardening and housework in general. I do it because it has to be done, I would much rather be making things with paper than eggs and flour.


But there is something about this house that reminds my of my own childhood, hours spent at my nan's baking fairy cakes, the taste of fresh veg that my dad grew (except for the marrows, never understood why he insisted on growing marrows ugh), memories that I want my own children to have. As I grew older I quicky lost interest in these kind of things, I wanted to move away and go out with friends, but now find myself in possesion of a beautiful garden and no idea what to do with it!


So although I have no expectations of suddenly transforming myself into a domestic goddess I do feel the need to enrich our lives a little more and give my children an understanding of the world they live in, eating our own vegetables (no marrows kids, I promise) and seeing if I can actually grow a few flowers without killing them! After a wander round our local garden centre I came out with these two pretty little hydrangea, a book on attracting butterflies to your garden and an indian cookbook. Nigella watch out!

1 comment:

natural attrill said...

I like stuffed marrow! - and I LOVE Indian food.
Enjoy your new home, and garden.
P.