Pages

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Illustration Friday - Capture


As I mentioned yesterday we went out for cake and lemonade and a visiting wasp very kindly dropped inside my drink long enough for me to take a photo, becoming the perfect subject for this weeks IF theme. (It also flew back out so no harm done!) I tried to keep the drawing loose by not using a pencil to start with, went straight in with the ink pen. Then added colour but I haven't figured out how to do grass quickly. The bottle was fine, the table looks like a table but the grass looks flat. Feel very liberated though, even contemplated trying it with a collaged acrylic background instead of gouache but that might have been a step too far for now, one step at a time...

7 comments:

neilornstein said...

Flat grass it may be but the concept and execution work well. I feel badly for the wasp despite having been stung last week (and meting out a terrible revenge.) Presumeably I can plead self-defense or tempoarary insanity.
Regards, neil

Kevin Cromwell said...

It looks really good. I have some experience with grass, and it is one difficult texture. Especially if it's not the central focus. Using very trasparent washes, and leaving a little strip at the top each time can work, plus it adds an atmospheric effect. Really great scene for this theme.

:)=

Karen Jinks said...

That's good advice, thanks!

faeorain said...

That was a perfect picture and idea for the topic, and you did a beautiful job with it!

natural attrill said...

I really like this, lovely colours.
Penny.

Judy Scott said...

this is sooooooooo good, that bottle is brilliant.Jx

Susan Schwake said...

i like the composition and color scheme here... very nice!
bbzzzzz.... thanks for dropping by my blog too!